Friday, May 11, 2012

Pomp and Other Circumstances

                                 Marisa, program director, and Pete, Master of Ceremonies

Today was graduation day for the Spaniards.  We have spent a total of 80 hours this week talking - to them and to each other, and we are kind of like a great big family.  We even eat food off of each other's plates.  We had a little ceremony in the meeting room, where each Spaniard received their certificates.  Each Anglo received a certificate, as well.  HJ (he of the Moon Pies), actually was going to receive four certificates because he hadn't received one at an earlier week and they didn't know which he was missing so they reprinted all four.  When they discovered the duplication, though, Pete wadded up the certificate and threw it over his shoulder instead.  When it was my turn, while I was standing up front, HJ asked me how I came to be at Vaughantown, and I replied, "Because of you."  (we met online awhile back, and he was the one who first told me about the program).  When Pete heard that, he ran back and got HJ's wadded up certificate, smoothed it out, and gave it to me with mine.  The Anglos also received a tin of nice Spanish olive oil.

Afterward, we took a group photo (which will arrive later), and then went to lunch, where we found that instead of separate tables for four, we had been set up at one large table for 24.  It was kind of a nice, symbolic way to end the week.  We have all learned so much about the Spaniards and the other Anglos, and we feel like we have become really close.

                                                           Alberto L, me, and Jaime

Then it was time to pack the bus.  I received 23 hugs, and offers of places to stay when I am next in London, or Scotland, or Ireland, and lunch on Mike when I next pass through Atlanta.   In fact, I was flat-out told that when I was next in Dublin I AM to call David and Sue, and I AM to stay with them.
Jaime is now Spain's newest geocacher, after having signed up for an account last night after I went to bed.  I expect I will be seeing him log his first find in the next few days.  :)

                                                                  Loading the bus

Jorge arrived about 45 minutes after the bus pulled out, and we headed for El Escorial.  It was really an impressive thing to see.  My knee was bothering me a bit, but once I was back in the car, it got better.  We are now in Venta de Banos, near Palencia, where we will be for the next two nights.  We went into Palencia a bit ago to find something to eat (very long story that I am much too tired to relate now), and now it's time for bed.  Spain 2012, Part 2, has begun.

                                                                     El Escorial

2 comments:

  1. What a cool experience. I forwarded the website to the twins. Something they might be interested in doing sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be doing it again! I just can't explain how much fun it was (and why).

    ReplyDelete