Friday, May 4, 2012

Hola, Madrid!

We left Atlanta about an hour late, after waiting in line on the runway forrreverrrr.  My seat was completely fabulous.  With my feet completely stretched out I could reach the wall in front of me.  My seatmate and I quickly decided that we could use our carryon bags as footrests during the flight, and with the increased recline of the EconomyComfort seats, it was actually pretty comfortable. 

On arrival in Madrid, I found the shuttle service desk easily.  The van held seven passengers, so I was in the front with the driver.  Not good.  I'm not the bravest driver in city traffic, but this guy was obviously used to it and drove like a maniac.  He didn't speak any English so we couldn't chat, which left me free to gasp silently whenever we came thisclose to another car - or  a motorcycle.  The fact that the windshield had a huge crack in it right in front of me didn't really add to my comfort level, either.  I tried to concentrate on the buildings around me, but I had to close my eyes a lot.  And I am pretty sure that I must have whimpered audibly at least once.

The Westin Palace is stunning - there is no other word for it.  My room was ready when I got here at 11 or so, so I headed straight for a shower.  One small problem:  they had inspected my bag at some point and replaced the wimpy nylon wire tie I was using - instead of a lock - with a much more robust one.  I could not find anything in my belongings that was strong enough to break it, so the only clothes I had to change into were my "emergency" t-shirt and underwear from my carryon bag.  Well, that's OK, I'll just put my wallet and stuff in my daybag....wait....the daybag is in the suitcase, too. And so is my jacket. So I went out to find scissors, and take my first look at Madrid, wearing yoga pants, a t-shirt, and blue hoodie, carrying my money, hotel key card, and phone in the little gold wristlet from my Fast Flats.  Charming.

I got a little bit confused looking for a department store where I was told I could buy a SIM card for my phone, and I asked a young woman if she knew where it was.  Not only did she know, she was going there herself, so we walked together.  She has been traveling through Central and South America for the past seven months and is on her way home to England to surprise her family for her sister's birthday (it was cheaper for her to come through Madrid than to go straight to London).  That's one thing about traveling alone - you get into conversations with all kinds of people you wouldn't have met if you were traveling in a group.
                                 Puerta del Sol - and El Corte Ingles.  How could I miss that?

I now am the proud owner of a pair of nail scissors, and I am on my way back to the phone store (because I didn't have my passport with which to purchase the SIM) looking much more appropriately dressed.  My knee says it will be an early night for me, so maybe I will find something for dinner while I'm out, too.
                                                               Plaza Mayor

No comments:

Post a Comment